whats the blood test called that identifies Type1 diabetes?

4 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Sarahlawlor DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
4 posts

Can you tell me what the blood test is called that identifies a person has type 1 diabetes not type 2.
I recall being seen by a diabetic nurse back in 2015 when I was diagnosed and she explained there was a specific test - I'm sure it wasn't the HbAc1 test we all have 6 monthly / annually.
I'm trying to advise and guide a friend who is deeply concerned for her brother's health as he's been told he's type 2 but his symptoms and appearance indicates the diagnosis may be incorrect.

many thanks in advance


Clare Mol68 DAFNE Graduate
East Lancashire Hospitals Diabetes Team
3 posts

Hi Sarah

It's a C Peptide urine test.

Sarahlawlor DAFNE Graduate
Hillingdon Hospital NHS Trust
4 posts

Hi Clare,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, as I recall I thought they asked me to have an additional blood test? I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic at the age of 42 then 5 years later referred to Hospital to see a DSN who later confirmed I was actually Type 1.


EdTab DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
2 posts

Hey Sarah, I was 2 -3 years misdiagnosed around 17 years ago!! and unfortunately most adult onset type 1's are misdiagnosed. Doesn't seem to bother GP's that they're messing with out lives!!
I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about any newly diagnosed diabetics not being referred to see an Endo straight up. I can't understand, if there is a specialist available, why a G.P. wouldn't use that resource.
The title says it all. "General" Practitioner. Knowing a little bit about a lot of things. "Specialist", knows a lot about ONE thing.
The test I eventually had was a GAD test, (Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase Autoantibodies)

Hope all is well.