Effects of stress on blood glucose levels

3 posts, 3 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Deadly DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital, Camberwell
11 posts

Hi All
I had just changed job to a position that carries with it a fair level of stress and anxiety. I believe my blood sugars have surged upwards as a result. Can anyone offer advice on the efffects of adrenaline on blood sugars and how to control the rise in sugar levels?

Thanks

Muncle DAFNE Graduate
University Hospitals, Leicester
8 posts

Hi Deadly,

Apologies for the late reply. I also find that stress and Anxiety at work increased my blood sugar levels so for the past couple of years I have taken up mindfulness which seems to have helped me maintain decent blood sugar levels.

I believe the basis of my improvement is concentrating on the "what is" and not worrying about the "what was" or "what if". There is a free online course on Futurelearn from Monash University in Australia https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/mindfulness-wellbeing-performance and the next course start date is 7th May. I couldn't recommend this enough and have done the same course several times Wink

Although Mindfulness is for everyone, it's probably worth pointing out that it can be uncomfortable in the sense that you get in touch with yourself so if people are having therapy for depression it may be worth discussing with a GP or therapist before starting mindfulness.

Also there is a good book by Dr Emma Mardlin called "Mind Body Diabetes Type 1 & Type 2" which is well worth a read Wink

All the best

Muncle

maturegolfer DAFNE Graduate
Mid Yorkshire Hospitals
1 post

Certainly I have random periods of stress in my personal life and without doubt it raises my blood sugar levels. I just dose to bring it down but I do go through a bit of yo_yo effect, i.e. levels down and up for 48 hours whilst body readjusts. So you have to be careful. Deep breathing, getting things in perspective, what's the worst thing that can really happen, if you can talk to someone it does help. Take care.