Anxiety / Stress and Dose Adjustment

14 posts, 9 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
508 posts

Hello David,

Stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol blunt the action of insulin which is why more insulin is required to lower BGLs.

How you control that will depend on your body's response and you will only be able to tell that by trial and error. If the stress remains in the background even after work, then you probably won't experience a sudden drop in BGLs after taking correctional insulin, but if once you leave work, you immediately lose the stress and feel calm, then your BGLs possibly would drop quickly in the absence of the stress hormones.

As others have said, if you can find a way of making the work situation less stressful, then that of course will be the best way to handle this. That could be through breathing exercises, talking with a professional counsellor, going for a walk when things get stressful etc.

If you are able to monitor your BGLs using a device such as the Freestyle Libre, then that is likely to also be helpful in identifying how your body is responding to stress and also the extra insulin that you are injecting.

Hope it all sorts itself out soon.

Warwick DAFNE Graduate
Diabetes Australia-Vic, Melbourne, Victoria
508 posts

Hello David,

Stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol blunt the action of insulin which is why more insulin is required to lower BGLs.

How you control that will depend on your body's response and you will only be able to tell that by trial and error. If the stress remains in the background even after work, then you probably won't experience a sudden drop in BGLs after taking correctional insulin, but if once you leave work, you immediately lose the stress and feel calm, then your BGLs possibly would drop quickly in the absence of the stress hormones.

As others have said, if you can find a way of making the work situation less stressful, then that of course will be the best way to handle this. That could be through breathing exercises, talking with a professional counsellor, going for a walk when things get stressful etc.

If you are able to monitor your BGLs using a device such as the Freestyle Libre, then that is likely to also be helpful in identifying how your body is responding to stress and also the extra insulin that you are injecting.

Hope it all sorts itself out soon.

nonochocolate 2 posts

Deadly said:
Hi All, my job changed just a couple of weeks ago so that I regularly find myself in positions where I am suffering from anxiety, and I notice that at the times of high anxiety my BG rises. What is the best way to deal with this? Does adrenaline cause your BG to fall sharply a bit later as much as it causes it to rise? Should I increase my quick acting insulin to cover it or my background nasal?

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, David

Hey, I moved earlier this year to a horrifically stressful high pressured job that I do not stop worrying about and it has definitely had a detrimental effect on my BG.

Nothing from the GP has really helped as the anxiety gets worse and worse. I've read a few articles about CBD and diabetes and decided to self-medicate.

I don't think CBD did much to help my BG BUT what it did have a side effect of reducing my anxiety which was a welcome surprise which in turn helps my diabetes... do kinda sorta lol

carver88 1 post

Echoing others, and from personal experience I really would advise tackling the source of stress which is appreciate is far easier said than done.

Even if you can not avoid the stressful triggers (work) taking some time out

Stress management is a life skill and is especially important those of us trying to navigate life life with diabetes. A skill I have not quite mastered yet but I do find the 10 / 10/ 10 rule really helps.

When I'm triggered I ask my self :

Will it matter in 10 hours, 10 days , 10 weeks.

If the answer is 'no' and I have no control over it, I write down things that either do matter or do make me happy. This may sound off kilter but it works for me.