Anxiety / Stress and Dose Adjustment

7 posts, 4 contributors

Search the DAFNE Online Forums

Deadly DAFNE Graduate
King's College Hospital, Camberwell
10 posts

Hi All, my job changed just a couple of weeks ago so that I regularly find myself in positions where I am suffering from anxiety, and I notice that at the times of high anxiety my BG rises. What is the best way to deal with this? Does adrenaline cause your BG to fall sharply a bit later as much as it causes it to rise? Should I increase my quick acting insulin to cover it or my background nasal?

If you have nay ideas please let me know.

Thanks, David

Deadly DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

Hi All, my job changed just a couple of weeks ago so that I regularly find myself in positions where I am suffering from anxiety, and I notice that at the times of high anxiety my BG rises. What is the best way to deal with this? Does adrenaline cause your BG to fall sharply a bit later as much as it causes it to rise? Should I increase my quick acting insulin to cover it or my background nasal?

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks, David

Deadly DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

Thanks, David

Deadly DAFNE Graduate
10 posts

Thanks, David

Alan Constable DAFNE Graduate
Maidstone General Hospital
271 posts

From my limited knowledge I have heard tha when adrenaline is released, your system assumes that additional energy is about to be needed and triggers the release of glucagon from the liver - so your BG rises.

wigworld DAFNE Graduate
Hull and East Riding Diabetes Network
19 posts

Stress can cause BG to rise - I experience this myself. However I personally find it requires less insulin to get BG down again than if the rise was caused by carbs. e.g. to get down from 12 to 5-6mmol/l, I would need just 1 or 2 extra units of QA.

JayBee DAFNE Graduate
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
764 posts

Stuff like this is why we're protected by the disability act. You are well within your rights to ask for reasonable adjustments so you no longer suffer high sugar levels related to stressful situations at work. Prevention of the stress in the first place is better than high sugar level chasing in the long term. Best wishes.